Saturday, July 30, 2011

Filipino Festival 2011




Before I met my husband, at the ripe old age of 16, I had no clue about the Philippines or Filipino people, food, or culture. In getting to know my husband, and his family, I also got to know and fall in love with the rich culture of the Filipino people. My husband's culture is infused into him and I couldn't truly fall in love with him without embracing his identity as a Filipino. From the moment I was introduced to the family, I was immersed in a world of delicious traditional dishes such as pancit, adobo, and lumpia and lively Filipino parties featuring karoke, traditional dances, called tinikling, and a talent show's worth of musical performances by sons and daughters. I met a society who cares about family and respecting elders. And I gained a city's worth Aunties and Uncles. My children are very lucky to be brought up learning and experiencing this awesome heritage. Plus, they've inherited some of the most gorgeous physical features don't you think:



Every year our church, Our Lady of Lourdes, hosts the Filipino Festival in August. Parishioners of all backgrounds get together to plan the event and each year it gets better.

The festival includes numerous performances, tons of delicious food, the lost art of line dancing, and plenty of activities for everyone, including the kids. It has become a do not miss event for our whole family. This year it has been extended to two days Aug. 12 & 13. The best part is that it is completely free to get in the gates - the food and drink is not.

Here's some info:



So to sum it up, come out and enjoy this awesome event and learn and fall in love with the culture! Did I mention the food? It's really good!

Some fun pictures from last year to further entice:

Yes, that is a Filipino Elvis!

See! I told you!


Fun with family!


Vincent and line dancing...he LOVED the line dancing!

 Hope you get a chance to experience the Filipino Festival this year!

No comments: