Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Egg Foo Yong - What's Cookin'

This week I tried my hand at an Egg Foo Yong recipe that my friend posted on her blog. Egg Foo Yong is something I always order when we get Chinese, so I knew I had to try it!

Here's what you need:


Patty Ingredients:
4 eggs
1 can of Chop Suey
4 green onions
2 tablespoons of oil ( I used extra virgin olive oil, but the original recipe calls for canola oil)

In a bowl, crack and beat 4 eggs - I also added garlic powder and black pepper...


Chop up 4 green onions...


And add them to the eggs along with the can of drained chop suey. It should look like this:


Heat up about a tablespoon of oil in a skillet and ladel the egg mixture into the skillet.


Let the patty cook for a couple of minutes and then flip it over.


Green Pea Sauce Ingredients:
1 boullion cube
1/2 cup of peas
1-1/2 tablespoons of lower sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons of cornstarch
2 cups of water

Place the ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, reduce the heat and let simmer until the sauce thickens.



Like my friend, I was apprehensive about pouring the sauce over the patty instead of putting it on the side, but I took her word for it and I'm glad I did because it was tasty!!! I wasn't a big fan of the chop suey mix, I think next time I'll get a can of the bean sprouts and add some vidala onion along with the green onion. You can also add your meat of choice - chicken, pork, beef, or shrimp!

Here's the finished product:



This recipe was quick, easy, and good! Try it and let me know how it goes!

Suggestions for the next challenge? Email me!

No comments: