Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Trip to the Tresure Chest!

Vincent's school has put into place a new sticker reward system. Once a child accumulates so many stickers for completing tasks and following the rules, they get to take a trip to the treasure chest where a plethora of jewels and toys await.

The first week, Vincent brought home a craptastic wrist watch that wouldn't stay fastened to his wrist. Every time it would fall off, he'd become increasingly upset. "Great," I thought to myself, "the treasure chest is full of a bunch of cheap toys designed to torture me during the ride home!"

The next week, Vincent brought home a plastic toy car, that he played with on the way home and then forgot about it - Phew, no issues!

Yesterday, I walked into Vincent's classroom and he proudly exclaimed that he got to go to the treasure chest today! I can only begin to imagine what item he will be pulling from his cubby and almost flinch as he flings his arm forward to show off what I can only describe as the biggest, most sparkly-purple cocktail ring that I have ever seen adorning his hand. I take a second to process what I am seeing and then give him the biggest hug as I praise him for his good behavior.

The rest of the evening he showed off his ring proudly to all the kids at the sitter's house when we picked up Audrey, to Audrey, and of course, to Daddy as well.

My kids never cease to amaze me! Vincent's enthusiasm for life is contagious and his ability to find joy in the small things in life is something that I wish will continue on throughout his life.

I can't wait to see what he brings home next week...

No comments: