Sunday, September 11, 2011

What Were You Doing?

"Amy!! Wake up, turn on the TV... it's like a movie! Wake up!" Shouted my frantic roommate as as the door to our tiny dorm room flew open and she rushed in.

"Huh? What? Remember I don't have class until four on Tuesdays?" I challenged back as my roommate searched for our remote control, located it, and turned on the television.

When I finally managed to open my eyes, sit up, and put on my glasses, I could hardly believe my eyes. What was happening? Why was it happening? What was going to happen next? My 17 year old brain could barely comprehend the magnitude of the images before me.

This is where I was the day the World as I had known it died, the day of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Ten years ago I was a baby, a 17 year old Freshman at the beginning of my very first semester at college. I was worried about making friends, writing papers, and getting myself to class and parties. Ten years later, I am a working mother of two and the World is a very different place, very different.

Today, I sat in church and heard the Gospel. The Deacon was preaching forgiveness and I couldn't help but sit and contemplate this notion and think about what I was doing on this day in 2001 and about the thousands of people still suffering and missing their loved ones.

What were you doing?

1 comment:

Alison Perry said...

Finally catching up on your blog. Yeah, 9/11 was a tough day. I was in my Shakespeare class in college. I got back to my dorm room right after the second plane hit. I literally watched TV all day long. I went home for a few days after that too. Just wanted to be near my family.