A few weeks ago, a friend from grad school came to visit me in my office. She was holding a book called "The Book of Awesome." When I asked her about it, she read me a few passages about awesome things like when you spot a group of friends in the lunch room when you had previously thought you'd be sitting alone.
So, using that premise I thought it'd be fun to come up with 10 of my own moments of awesome... I haven't read the book, so hopefully my moments aren't repeats, but they might be - sorry in advance!
1. Perusing through the shoe department at your favorite store you come across an awesome sale on THE cutest shoes you have ever seen. You try not to get too excited as you scan the boxes to see if your size is there. It's not, but wait.... you flip over the display shoe and hallelujah... your size! AWESOME!
2. It's the first chilly morning in October. Your sleep deprived thanks to your beautiful, teething 5 month old. You open the door to the coat closet to dig out your coat and are met with yet more obstacles as tennis rackets and book bags fall at your feet. Finally, you manage to pull out your coat and put it on. Making sure it still looks nice, you begin to smooth and pull at it. You put your hands into the pockets... wait what's this??? A ten dollar bill!!! AWESOME!
3. For the past four nights, your adorable bundle of joy has decided that she will wake up every hour on the hour. Your are on the brink of insanity! You can barely remember your name and you look like a zombie. As you get ready for bed, you pray to whichever God will answer your prayers for just 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep, that's all you need.. you're not asking for much... You go to bed full on expecting to be up again in no time, but when you do wake up you are met with sun on your face and birds chirping. You feel rested and sane.... your baby has slept through the night!!! AWESOME!!!
4. Hearing your child say "I Love You" and knowing that they have some idea as to what that actually means. AWESOME!
5. You pull up to the gas station to fill up. No surprise, the price has gone up yet again. You swipe your Kroger card to make it go down $.02 when you see a message on the screen... what? You qualify for $.20 off each gallon? AWESOME!
6. It's freezing cold and you are running late. Of course there will be frost on the car and of course you have no time to defrost - you have a very important staff meeting in which you will be taking very important notes and you still have to drop off your kid to daycare! Ugh! You fly out the door kid in tow and keys ready already wondering were that damn ice scraper is... until you look up and notice that your husband has already scraped your car for you. Your love for him returns and you remember why you married him. He didn't abandon you in this tundra land to fend for yourself! AWESOME!
7. Whether you're in elementary school or grad school, the moment you see your school on the CLOSED due to inclement weather list, that is AWESOME!
8. When your student loans get deposited into your bank account without you knowing it and you go online to see a balance of $14,000 dollars in your account - AWESOME!
9. The first time you say "my husband" - pretty AWESOME!
10. The first time you see and touch your child, even with all the gross stuff before he/she get bathed, is probably the most AWESOME moment of all time!